Tuesday 27 November 2007

Lake Tekapo and some other liquids

Last stop of this NZ-trip is Christchurch, where I arrived today. We had a nice drive to Lake Tekapo yesterday, arriving somewhat delayed after a few mishaps along the way. A pick up of the new bus, since the old one's gearbox decided to hop off this tour, then we lost a man in a small town during a short stop. No one noticed until the driver got a call some 10 minutes drive later, and we had to go back. The dangers of travelling alone I guess..
We also made a short stop to get a kodak fix since this view of Mount Cook wasn't to shabby at all.

Mount Cook is the highest mountain in NZ, some 3700 metres, and apparently 412 people have died while trying to climb it. And no, that's not smoke coming out of the mountain, it's just a cloud with a good sense of photo composition.


WHen we arrived at the hostel, Lakefront Lodge in Lake Tekapo, me, Don and Nathe decided it was time to start living by our new, healthy regim. So we hired some bikes and went for a one hour drive before the pizza and beer-night with the rest of the bus. Haha.
That was a good way of seing this beautiful place (have I mentioned anything about stunning scenery yet?) and Nathe had obviously gotten the bonus package which included a horse-bite and some close encounters with rocks.


WHen back at the hostel we thought a swim would be nice, since we are after all a bunch of smelly backpackers. However the boiling temperature of 13 degress put us off. Instead we threw flat stones (kasta macka pa engelska nagon?) and then had a beer in the sun in the hostel garden.


Lakefront Lodge really lived up to it's name.


Lake Tkapo and oddly enough, flowers from home.


THe beach right below our hostel. Perhaps the best one I've stayed in so far.


Last night the driver, Stu, decided we should all go to his favourite food joint in all NZ, since it was the last night he would accompany us on this trip, and we all pretty much go our separate ways from Christchurch. It was a very fun night, I haven't laughed so much in a long time.
From left to right Nathan, Donna, Erin, me, Andrew, Judy, Marlu and Bart. Our table was the most party-orientated I think, cause we stayed until 11pm whereas the others disappeared at about 10. After two beers I figured I should go back and get some sleep, the bus always leaves early.

This are my two travel pirates, Donna and Eyren (from Canada).
We're also going out for dinner tonight, since sadly we will all be splitting up from here.
Alltohether, it's been such a great trip around this country, I've met some really good friends, had lots of fun and to some extent, challenged my fears. But no skydive though. Or Bungy. But who knows, I still have 7 days to kill here in NZ...

No comments: