Thursday 15 November 2007

Lake Taupo, day two

Spending my second day in Taupo, and thanks to these two lovebirds, Donna and Nathan, this kat is knackered, strolling around in Taupo.
They may look sweet and nice, but they are cunning party animals. I met them in the thermal pool yesterday and last night we went out for drinks. Since they were doing the skydive this morning it wasn't gonna be a late, big bender.
But, being English, they have a different view on what's late an how much a lot of beer is. So we ended up singing karaoke and rockin it til the wee hours of morning.
I guess I needed some fun, cause since leaving the farm for Byron Bay I've barely talked to anyone (I don't like backpackers, they are young and noisy), except for Coops and friends in Sydney, and stayed in most nights, so it was time for a fun night out.


I also had a Jaeger, once again the Brits lured me into that, but I had one for my pirates back home, since Jaegermeister is a pirates drink of choice. So I've been told...

When in Rome..and when in an Irish Pub you're apparently supposed to wear one of these.




I just got back from a 2 hour walk along the great lake of Taupo. It's stunning and in the background you can see the volcanos, one on which there is a ski resort. They closed a month ago though since they got the seasons all backwards here down under.
Skydiving here is allegedly the best in NZ, and also the cheapest, 220 dollars (1100kr). Most other places charge around 300 dollars. The view from above this huge lake must be amazing.
The lake is really a giant crater from a big eruption a long time ago (haha, I'm not getting a job as a tourist guide.) and it was recently discovered that magma still comes up from underneath the lake.


The birds seem to like the view as well, between the two first trees are some I found interesting, all black.


Turned out to be black swans, something I've never seen before. Beautiful with red beeks.
(click on the photos for a slightly larger version). I guess they were white before the eruption.
(Mm. sorry..)




There is no racism amongst New Zeeland birds. Pigeons, swans and the grey ones I don't know the name for, all hung out for a day on the beach.


Kodak view.


Many strange birds I've never seen before. Dad, do you reckon this is a Praktejder*?


* yes, you might find inside jokes here on the odd occasion. Sorry.

No comments: