Tuesday 13 November 2007

Kiwi's and Bro's

I must pinch my arm.

That thought has struck me several times during the day, which I have spent on a bus to Rotorua, where I'm spending the night. THe scenery is so beautiful, and besides just landscape that is breathtaking, we also passed one of the oddest places to spend the night, which included an old plane where you could spend the night. But also..they have rooms built in a hill and guess what they have been used for..They are the round little windows/doors seen in Lord of the Rings, that the hobbits lived in... They were so cute. Unfortunately we didn't stop there so I couldn't take pics of that..


Vi started out by going up to Mount Eden, with a spectacular view over Auckland, luckily the weather was at it's best for this activity.

Below is a view with the Skycity (tower) in the centre, from which one can make one of the worlds most spectacular jumps, if it weren't quite pricy I would. I think.


View over South Auckland below. That's where most of the movie "Once were warriors" (krigarens sjal tror jag det svenska namnet ar) is set.


Below is the Volcano crater of Mount Eden. I wasn't too worried it would errupt, but there is a lot of activity going on under New Zeeland, which you will see proof of further down.



I'm travelling with Magic Buses, and I have bought a North&South Island pass, which will take me to eleven different overnight stops, starting here in Rotorua.
The bus wasn't even half full, but I have met some nice people so I fanially had someone to talk to. All the "kids" travel with the more party-oriented Kiwi or Stray buses, so I'm finally not feeling like an old mare travelling...

We made a stop to see caves, about 40 metres under ground, witth amazing stalaktites (?) and also a river, on which we cruised with a boat.


In Rotorua there is a beautiful park, and this is what you see when entering...

As soon as you step in you understand why.




Se some smoke in the corner?




It is an amazing sight for a Swedish eye, growing up far from any evidence of underground activity other than the tube.
The hostel I'm staying at has a thermal spa, like most hostels around Rotorua.



View in the park


Small "lake" in the same park



It wasn't me....

(the smell is pretty bad)



View of part of the park, with a volcano in the background.

Tomorrow morning we're heading off for Lake Taupo, the biggest lake in New Zeeland. More reports to come, now I'm just gonna finish my beer and keep walking the streets of Rotorua.

It is just so much fun travelling like this, getting to see so many things.

Today I also got to hear someone call me bro, which pretty much is the kiwi's (New Zeelanders) word for Mate!

More reports tomorrow hopefully!

No comments: