Monday 24 September 2007

The last couple of days

Well, yesterday I got to attend my very first all-australian sunday bbq, and that was a meat-packed event. Vegetarians keep out..

This one's for Ola...

John, Isaac's stepdad, was the meat-master of the evening and Moira, Isaac's mum, was the dessert-queen. I was told that last night was the typical sunday bbq, lot's of laughs round the table, John's kids and Isaac were at the top of their game quoting sick movie jokes and I had to tell them about strange Swedish traditions and food. I keep realising the fact that trying to put typical, and to me perfectly normal, Swedish behaviour in words makes it sound very weird and peculiar, maybe us Swedes are a bunch of exotic creatures...?
Altogether a fantastic family evening which I felt lucky to be part of.

Also for the first time in my life, I've stumbled across (actually someone was nice enough to look it up..) a racist word for Swedish and German people (we're obviously much alike?). Squareheads... It's an old word that Americans used to say, cause we apparently have squareshaped heads...? I'm gonna have to investigate that the next time I look in the mirror..

John, the BB(Q)-King

I have also done some sightseeing in Brisbane, the markets and the man-built beach in the city, which was closed unfortunately.




Below is the house I stay in, very big and very nice! The hospitality of this family is striking, and I have decided to import that to Sweden, we need to loosen up a bit and let perfect strangers into our homes!

Yesterday Moira took me a public pool for a morning swim, I try and get all the exercise I can so I won't come back home looking like a stranded humpback whale.. After the swim we enjoyed a delicious caffe latte, one of the few ones I've had during my trip, and something I've really missed since I'm not able to go to Bagel Street Cafe until January...
This week I'll probably see Australia Zoo, and if I can't spot a Kangaroo in there I might aswell quit this travelling thing. Or have someone beat up the Kangaroo's in this country, cause I reckon they've got something against me..

No comments: