Tuesday 4 December 2007

"Not too much really.."

That would be my answer to the question "what's going on" right now, if one of the german, dutch, irish or maybe even spanish backpackers I'm surrounded by bothered to ask me. But they didn't so sadly enough I'm left to chat to my blog. Tragic, huh!
Well I hope I didn't put anyone off about the idea of travelling alone. I have been happy to stroll around in Auckland, not jumping off a cliff, a plane, a ledge, a hill, a pole or even a canyon.
It might sound like a curse in a church-thing to say when in New Zealand, but I have just been getting ready to go to Bangkok, being very pleased with my stay in the land of the long white cloud. The past few days I got my hair cut (so needed. Didn't get a job though, but working on it), I send clothes back home and I've improved my skill of spending change money on little things like latte's, fruit, maybe a pen and "what the heck I need a new body lotion"-purchases. I seem to have gradually redefined change money, and the scientific term now includes 10$ bills (SEK 55).

To sum NZ up in a short, informative sentence: Make sure you go here before you get too settled in a nursing home!
New Zealand has made it clear to me that I need to expand my vocabulary with new adjectives. Apart from the scenery, which I think I have described one too many times perhaps, it is also a very interesting country in the more cultural sense.
One thing that I was happy to see, was that unlike many other countries, where the white men came and made the original inhabitants run to the hills, the maoris and the more recently settled people all seem to be proud of the Maori culture and eagerly want to share it and show it to the tourists all over the country. Of course there has been some arguing and even killing early on, but that's only natural I guess, when taking over a country losing a few good men isn't all that.

I also like the accent, and now I can't understand how I thought the aussie and NZ accent where pretty much same-same before I left the land of the midnight sun. How ignorant of me! The kiwis say i whenever something is spelled with an e, and e when spelled with an i. The aussies don't!
(i.e= fish becomes "fesh", and Brett becomes "Britt". Very confusing sometimes)

Anyway. I thought I'd fenesh weth a taste of brelliant kiwi humor (thank's for the tep isaac!).
Et doesn't git bitter than thes!

Bye, bye New Zealand, and thank's for all the fesh!

No comments: