Tuesday 9 October 2007

The pictures, the stories


I arrived to the farm at 830 in the morning, and after a lovely breakfast it was time to hit the outback on a horseback..I was really looking forward to doing that, it's been two years since tha last time I went riding in Sweden.


My horse for the day was Flossie, a nice chestnut horse, somewhat lazy but very kind and easy to handle. Our task was to move some other horses to their "holiday paddock", so we had to use our horse to keep them walking in a straight line and from eating. After that we went for a long ride to the very back of the property, moving some injured horses to another paddock. It was a slow and hot ride, but I just leaned back and enjoyed kangaroos, wallabies and the mad magpies, birds that attack and follow you (looks a bit like the swedish skata, but more aggressive). On the way back we stopped to count cows in a paddock, which is harder than it sounds..


Kangaroo resting in the shade. Usually they sit two or more together, little families.



Me and Flossie



We also went to check on a bull that's been sick for a few days. I don't know if they're gonna let him die there or put him to rest, but I felt sorry for him, lying there without water in the 35 degree heat.



THis is the view from my room, building safely build above the ground so no snakes can get in. Liking that.. Behind the bushes is the pool and then the main building with computers and tv.




Pretentious picture, trying the macro..



THe pool. Cold water, which is extremely nice when it hits 35 degrees and there's red dust on your clothes..



In australia you can't smoke outside unless it's a designated area, and this is it, complete with hammocks.


The dining area, where we have bbq's at night. Everyone is in bed by 9pm however, the days are long and mornings early here.



How relaxing is this...?



Over the fire you toast your bread, fry your eggs, and in the kettles there's water for your coffee or tea. Reminds me of how we do it in Sarna while on a snowmobile trip!



Pool and garden.



Try to count these from the back of a horse..I found myself counting in English, which was surprising. Maybe I'll come home with the Silvstedt accent, haha..



Me, Trevor and his absolute favourite horse, that hardly anyone get's to ride, cause he doesn't want her spoiled. Trevor's been giving me a new, better and more challenging horse every day, and I think he likes to test me :) So far so good!


Lasso. Didn't try it yet though.



Yeah, i took a picture of myself. What would you do if you travelled alone?

This is Harry. He's the king of the dining area, he talk's and climbs around his cage and tree. He is a cockatoo, don't know the Swedish word for that one!
I also learned how to ride a motorbike here, my first day. That wasn't as hard as it seems, but then again, we didn't have to use the clutch, just shift gears. Maybe I'll explore that new found hobby once back home.
This afternoon I'm leaving Myella, to catch the night bus from Rockhampton to Airlie Beach. Tomorrow I'll just hang around checking out backpacker heaven (or hell, anyway you choose to look at it) and on Friday it's time to board the New Horizon, which seems to be the exotic backpacker version of our Swedish Vodka Boats...smaller, with scuba diving and coral reefs but apparantly the same amount of alcohol..I have been warned though, heaps of drunken tourists get dehydrated and sunburned, so I'll act my age and just have a couple of cold ones!

No comments: